Can’t get through the day without eating every 2-3 hours? Need a pick-me-up between meals? Optimally, the digestive system should rest for 4-5 hours between eating. The drive to fuel frequently in order to keep energy up can be a red flag for blood sugar dysregulation and may indicate an imbalance of macronutrients.
Nevertheless, there are those times when having compact, shelf-stable food in a purse or backpack, can save you from shakiness, irritability, faintness, or an emerging headache. If you’re going to reach for something, make sure it’s nutrient dense, with a proportionate ratio of carbs, fats, and proteins. Grabbing a snack bar or candy bar with something like 36 grams of carbohydrate will only aggravate the energy bursts followed by bouts of weariness.
These stamina snacks offer you some wholesome, real food nutrition, with plenty of minerals, vitamins, fiber, protein, Omega 3’s, and antioxidants. They contain selenium for the thyroid, zinc for immunity, copper for the genitals, calcium and magnesium for healthy muscle contraction, Vitamin E to scavenge free radicals, and a host of B vitamins to support detoxification. Plus they make up quick as a wink!
1 c. chia seeds
1 c. sesame seeds
1 c. pumpkin seeds
1 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/4 c. honey, warmed
2 c. water
2 Tb. dry rub seasoning (or use 1 tsp. each of sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and chili powder plus 1/2 tsp. each pepper and cumin)
- Combine everything in a large mixing bowl. Let stand 5 minutes (while chia seeds absorb water and create a “slurry”).
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Spray paper with cooking spray.
- Divide the mixture between the two trays. Place another sprayed parchment (sprayed side down) on top of each tray.
- Pressing on the top parchment with your hands, spread and smooth the mixture until it evenly fills the tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Carefully flip the sheet of cracker mixture over, remove the top parchment, and bake another 25 minutes.
- If not crisped and brown, bake 5-10 minutes more. Cut with a pizza cutter.
Love it. I found a recipe for pumpkin pie granola that is sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and coconut with pumpkin pie spices and maple syrup. Kind of similar. Love that there is no grains.