Guide to Healthy Restaurant Dining
Here are 5 ways to make healthy choices when you eat out.
Visit a Local Health Food Venue
These small, independently-owned establishments specialize in farm-to-table offerings. They pride themselves on whole, unprocessed, simple food. You are likely to find keto, vegan, and gluten-free options, as well as local, homemade dishes.
Choose a Chain that Touts Fresh, Organic Ingredients
They may be fast food, but it’s fast food with an emphasis on natural foods. If you opt for a salad, bowl, or soup, rather than a sandwich, and add extra vegetables, you’ll be getting the best possible combination.
Go for the Salad Bar
It’s a great idea to fill half your plate with vegetables, then add a high quality, lean protein on the side, such as fresh trout. Watch those carbohydrates, and select fibrous, colored options. For example, pick sweet potato cubes instead of rolls, or quinoa instead of mashed potatoes.
Try Ethnic Food
Cultures with a rich food history usually incorporate many antioxidant ingredients in their traditional dishes. Use these guidelines to stay on track:
- Thai – go crazy for coconut to cool inflammation.
- Asian – choose steamed or stir-fried vegetables and request the sauce on the side.
- Indian – order anti-oxidant curries laced with turmeric, cumin, and ginger.
- Mexican – say yes to salsa, guacamole and seafood!
- Greek – load up on tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, and spinach. Opt for grass-fed lamb.
Wherever you eat, watch portions, sip water with lemon instead of soda, avoid fried foods and sauces, and pass on the dessert.